Tuesday, July 14, 2009

IMO: I love Wizard 101, but...

Like every other W101 blogger in our little community, I love the game. I do have one big complaint though. I agree that both Crafting and the Bazaar are good but incomplete ideas. And making Boss fights more difficult so people can't solo them is a step in the right direction but making them so hard that nobody at all can beat them is two steps in the wrong direction. But these are not my big complaint.
My big complaint is quest rewards, equipment specifically. I'm not going to claim to be an expert on MMOs but I've played my fair share and in every one I've played quest reward equipment, barring any special circumstances, is supposed to be an upgrade and even if it's not it's a unique item found nowhere else.
Now I can understand quest rewards not being an upgrade if you have a high level character providing equipment for the lower level character. But if the character you're playing is the pioneer, blazing the trail for characters to come, then the equipment they get from quests, barring any incredibly lucky drops, should be superior to earlier quest equipment. I haven't found that this to be the case, in fact i've found them to be quite mediocre. I don't expect them to be as good as boss drops, cause boss drops are always the best for their level, but I expect a quest robe in the East Counterweight to give better then 4% balance damage. Not only is a lot of quest equipment inferior, it's also not unique. On a few occasions, I've gotten equipment (usually daggers) that are normal 'trash' drops'.

Okay, I'm done. Sorry for making you sit through that, had to get it off my chest.

P.S. I'm sorry I missed the Bloggers meet-up

No comments:

Post a Comment